On behalf of the Centre for Interprofessional Education, University of Toronto, we would like to extend our thanks to all of our Facilitators. We sincerely appreciate your encouragement and guidance to students, assisting with their journey in interprofessional education, and also with the development of the University of Toronto’s Interprofessional Education Curriculum.
What is facilitation?
Facilitation is the process of helping groups, or individuals to learn, find solutions, or reach consensus without imposing or dictating an outcome. Facilitation works to empower individuals or groups to learn for themselves or find their own answers to problems.
What is a facilitator?
A facilitator is a process guide who focuses discussions and clarifies understanding, while encouraging shared decision-making and problem-solving. A facilitator assists the group in creating and achieving common goals and expectations. * Facilitators are not a content/topic expert.
Characteristics of a Facilitator
Facilitators need good communication skills. Effective facilitators are non-authoritarian, patient, flexible, intuitive, organized, confident, respectful and open-minded. In addition, they have good tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty and an eagerness to learn.
New Facilitator Registration Process
As of September 2016, facilitator registration is now centralized through the IPE Management System. Facilitators can create their own account in order to register for upcoming learning activities. Please follow the instructions below:
To register as a facilitator:
- Connect to http://ipecurriculum.utoronto.ca
- Select the "Facilitator" tab towards the upper right-hand corner; a small drop-down menu will appear
- Select "Account Request" and complete the form
- Your request will be approved by the Centre for IPE within 48 hours
- Upon approval, you will receive an automatic email to confirm your email address
- Confirm your email
- Log In!
Once you are logged on, select "Browse Activities" and utilize the Activities Calendar to register for the activity you would like to facilitate. Upon selecting the activity of choice, you will select "Register for Activity" and you will be all set as a registered facilitator!
Facilitator Account Troubleshooting
If you are experiencing issues logging on to your facilitator account on the IPE Management System, some suggestions are:
- Clear your internet browsing history and/or cache to eliminate any saved data
- Open a new incognito window (if using Google Chrome)
- If you forget your password and the password reset option is not working, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can deactivate your account in order you to create a new one.
IPE Facilitator Testimonials